So, you’ve decided it’s time to take that family photo you’ve been talking about for so long. You’ve scheduled an appointment with a photographer and your family has set aside time to participate. Now it’s time to start planning what you and your family will wear. Take a look at some of our suggestions on what to do and what to avoid doing when it comes to clothing choices for your family portrait:
- Dress yourself first – If you’re the one who planned the whole family photo session, you should choose your outfit first. That is, choose something you look and feel good in, and have your family dress themselves accordingly.
- Create a Color Scheme – Select a couple colors you like or that look good on you and create a color scheme based on your choices. The accent color, or the brightest, should not be overused.
- Add some personality – You and your family should not all be wearing matching outfits. This idea is outdated and it looks more creepy than welcoming. As previously stated, whoever organized the photo session should dress himself or herself first. The rest of the family should then make their own outfit choices based on what you’ve chosen first to wear. All the outfits should complement each other, while allowing each family member’s unique personality to show. Wearing the same matching clothes takes away from this effect.
- Location – It is important when considering the colors your family is going to wear to also consider where in the house the family photo will be prominently displayed. Typically, family portraits go somewhere in the living room, either hanging on a wall or on the mantel for everyone to see. It is good practice to coordinate the colors you and your family choose to wear with the color(s) of the room.
- Accessorize – Accessories help complement outfits, just be sure that the colors of the accessories match with those of your clothes.
- Layers: Fashion with a Function – Layers are both functional as well as fashionable; they keep you warm and also help you make clothing combinations that look great.
What you wear in the family portrait makes quite the impression on your house guests. You want people to easily recognize your beautiful family, and wearing color-coordinated outfits does the trick. Choose your outfit first, something from which everyone else can build their own outfits.