Family photo day is right around the corner . Are you and the rest of your family prepared? Have you picked your outfits? Is everyone excited, or do you get annoyed, unenthused groans? Will you have enough time before the session starts to get dolled up, so that the beauty and confidence you exude will reflect upon the rest of your family? There are many factors that go into taking the perfect family portrait. Here are just a few:
- Full, Fat, & Happy – One of the most important things to remember is to make sure everyone, especially the kids, have been fed before you even leave the house. Nobody is comfortable on an empty stomach, and this will show through the strained, lethargic, and frankly lackadaisical poses and smiles on the faces of your otherwise beautiful family.
- Outfit Choice is Key – A beautiful smile is not the only factor in your family’s outward appearance. Choosing the right outfits, ones that go well together, but which allow each member of your family’s personality to shine through, is of utmost importance. Everyone should look comfortable and, more importantly, attractive. Your outfits should not match, but the colors should go well together. This allows for both accessorizing and adding some personal flair, whatever that may be, so that the different styles of your family members come together to show that your family has some personality.
- Make Dad the Mascot – Assuming yours is the stereotypical family, – a mother, a father, kids, and maybe even pets – then I’m going to take a wild guess and say that Mom did most of the work in organizing the family photo shoot. Now it’s your turn, Dad. Take the initiative. This is your time to shine. Fathers, try to make the photo session exciting for everyone involved. Be a little goofy and get everyone in a good mood. The honest smiles from laughter and fun will make for a better family portrait.
- Make the Most of the Session – As previously mentioned, genuine smiles are a product of a good time. Make sure everyone is having fun and being themselves. Crack a joke, tell your husband you love him for all his valiant efforts, admire the beauty of your family. Doing these things and more will help the photographer snap some awesome pics from which to choose the perfect family photo.
- Don’t say “Cheese!” – In the wise words of Krista Campbell, “Cheese is for crackers.” There is a noticeable difference between smiles that are forced and those which are genuine, and people will be able to tell the difference. Smiling faces caught in the moment make for a happier-looking family.
By following these tips and many others, your family photo shoot should go pretty smoothly, and you’ll get a great family photo with which everyone is happy and of which everyone is proud. This should be an exciting time for your family, and the photo(s) you select should reflect that excitement.